Sunday, June 25, 2006

Again with the movies at the High?

Yes, again. It's probably not the last movie either. I can't stay away from them. Nor from this blog, but it all has to do with the fact that I'm procrastinating getting things done...like French, even though it's late to do it and I'm currently engrossed with the New P's right now. Really, I'm doing this because I want a time filler, thus a multitude of posting has occurred this past week. Plus I've been tired and the compy is right there when I walk in the door at home and that chair is so inviting. Except right now, I'm not at home again for like the fourth time this summer already and it's only June, nor will this be the last time either.

But as I was saying, another movie at the High. I've seen an Indian documentary, a samurai movie, and now this one. It was thoroughly interesting. It's called
Stolen. I was debating on whether or not to stay for this movie today, last night after the family get together. Auntie finally just said to stay and since I had already packed everything I would need for a stay, I wasn't going to let all that effort of packing go to waste. (Except I forgot my cell phone charger...again. And I'm Jewish so you heck as ain't gonna get me to spend $30 on a charger for my phone. That money goes to the MP3 player fund [though I probably won't save long enough to get this particular one]. Cingular gets you on your accessories, but their service is great.) ANYWAYS, so this movie was about art theft from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. It's divided into five or six parts and is mostly about how they try and retrieve the art and how they are run around in circles since organized crime is highly involved. There is a little bit of story going on with this main investigator, Harold Smith, and his interactions with other art and antique investigators and thieves. This old man is a heckuva lot stronger than I am. He tells you about how he got skin cancer in the documentary and it's horrible. He's battled skin cancer for 50 years and has a prosthetic nose and has lost an eye. It's kind of disturbing at first, but this was very entertaining for the brain...to me at least, and I'm easily occupied with things that would bore others to death and I love paintings. In the documentary, they mentioned how Isabella's mansion became the museum and since it was built as a house, it doesn't have really good modern security system making it easier to work in. Also that these security guards that they hire are insanely underpaid and are guarding a multi-million dollar collection of art. Harold mentioned after one of the former security guards that they interviewed left his office that he had come from Ohio, never had a job before, and they pay him minimum wage to watch millions of dollars worth of art. Honestly, I give people too much credit as far as having common sense goes, and this is one of those situations where you think they would at least work a little harder to treat these employees better. If you get a chance to see it on a rainy Sunday, do so. I found in very informative and some of the people involved in this business are characters and really entertaining. Don't kill yourself to see it though, since it could be considered slow moving and monotonous to most.

Afterwards, we were joined by Aunt #2 at El Nopal near where she lives. It was some of the best Mexican food I've had in MONTHS! I was dying for some spicy salsa, salty tortilla chips, and a kick butt chicken burrito. El Nopal provided all three. If you are ever with anyone that wants to go to El Nopal, do kill yourself to go, especially if you like Mexican food. Where I moved, there's just not enough Mexicans to glut the construction worker market and as a result, none of them get to start restaurants and cook me delicious food. There isn't a single Mexican restaurant in Athens. No joke. But there are like 5 Thai eateries, 6 or 7 cafe type places, 4 Italian, and don't ask me to count the bars. It's funny. We only have two Mexican chains and they both pretty much blow, though I do like On the Border, but stumble upon any Italian restaurant and you are sure to get some of the best Italian food your senses have ever come across.

3 comments:

Horse N. Buggy said...

I have a hard time thinking of those chains as Mexican restaurants. If the white (or rather brown stained) suspended ceiling tiles aren't about to cave in on me, I probably won't like whats on the menu. That's the difference between Tex-Mex (which I don't care for) and Mexican.

Anonymous said...

Which El Nopal is that?

There's one in Marietta, too, near where the hubby used to work. BEST chimichangas EVER. Seriously.

Affable Olive said...

El Nopal on Cobb Parkway. Yeah, I got the El Nopal Special: chicken burrito and chicken chimichanga. And they were even better heated up two days later for lunch. El Nopal is now my favorite mexican restaurant. And H'n'B- this is in NO WAY a tex-mex chain. Everyone speaks horribly broken English and it meets the celing tile requirement.