Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Still Standing In

Right about now I figure Affie is writhing in pain from a little too much sun. She meant to apply sunscreen vigorously, but just couldn't remember to do so. She was so happy to be out of the O.C. that she couldn't be bothered to reapply what was supposed to be waterproof SPF 30. After applying a nice coating of aloe lotion and taking two percocets, our little Affie should begin to feel a little better - lobstery, but better. (Ah, how I do not miss the days of Solarcane applications.)

So I will continue my guest posting job. Think of me as the Joan Rivers to Affie's Johnny Carson. Or if you kiddies need a more current pop culture reference, I'm the Joy Philbin to Affie's Kelly Rippa. As guest host, I would like to continue to discuss the kinds of things that Affie would talk to you about if she were here in person. I will call this next discussion Fun Facts About Rice. (I decided to spare you a simple Bubba-esque listing of all the recipes featuring rice in favor of the more interesting facts I was able to dig up on the subject.)

1. The bran of rice is a good source of Vitamin B and can cure beriberi. What is beriberi? Oddly enough, it is a nervous system ailment found in people whose diet consists mainly of unpolished rice. How's that for circular logic?

2. Boiled rice "greens" can be used as an eye lotion. (I guess that's for dry eyes.)

3. Dried sprouted rice grains gives tone to muscles and expels gas from the stomach and intestines. (Good news, you're going to be muscly. Bad news, you're going to fart a lot.)

4. Rice husks can be compressed into high-quality charcoal briquettes. Fire up the barbie.

5. Rice flour is a good substitute for wheat flour in products like chips, pastas and cereals. This one may actually be a good thing for our Affie.

6. Rice straw is a good medium in which to grow mushrooms. (I have no idea what rice "straw" is nor why you wouldn't just grow your mushrooms in dirt.)

7. RICE WINE! And the lesser known RICE BEER. Hooray beer. Hooray rice.

8. Good news, rice paper. Bad news, rice paper is heavily used in the manufacturing of cigarettes.

9. Rice glue. Rice glue is basically made by dissolving rice in boiling water. Um, isn't that what we do to cook rice? How does it know when we want to eat it and when we want to use it as an adhesive? Can rice read our minds?

And...that's all I got to say about that.

Links:
Extended Uses of Rice

Rice Heritage
USARice FAQs
Rice in Wikipedia

13 comments:

Horse N. Buggy said...

Comment spam?!?! My only comment is spam? I'm so disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Some of us are just a little slow. Fun Facts about Rice was very educational. But like you, I am a little concerned about the whole is it edible or is it glue today. must work that one out.

I'm betting Affie is religiously applying sunblock. It's Mesha that has probably forgotten to do so cuz she was so busy talking!

Alan said...

What about Damien Rice?

Horse N. Buggy said...

Dang. A list of musicians whose name is Rice would have been a much funnier post! Why didn't I think of that? I coulda slipped in Jerry Rice just to see if anyone was paying attention.

Alan said...

Or Jonathan Rice, who has an AWESOME album called Trouble is Real, and also played Roy Orbison on "Walk the Line."

Horse N. Buggy said...

I will take care of this comment spam as soon as Affie makes me an Admin.

Alan said...

I'm glad you mentioned it. I was going to do that on mine, but just wondered if anyone thought it was uber-uptight to do word verification. Word Verification, Here I Come...

Affable Olive said...

Isn't that why they call it sticky rice at Thai?

Horse N. Buggy said...

Condoleezza Rice!

Alan said...

Anne Rice... (heebie jeebies)

Rice County, MN...

Horse N. Buggy said...

Check out this t-shirt.

Affable Olive said...

The intimates category cracked me up, but then I saw the hoodie. I'll have it by fall. I want the whole world to know I like rice, and I do the laundry around here anyways so the panties were pointless (from that aspect).

Horse N. Buggy said...

Or this one.

Or this one.