Thursday, August 03, 2006

Chocolate covered commercial

Two days in a row! I hope this pleases one specific reader that says that once a week isn't enough to fufill the needs of my blog. I did forget how much I loved this thing. It's quite the affair we have going on here. I was thinking about posting something deep, but since both H'n'B and Poly beat me to posting and they both did deep stuff, I'm going for the other angle. Brain sludge...scrumptious brain sludge.

Now, I don't know if everyone knows, but I'm allergic to chocolate (among 30,000 other things- but not air [AirSupply either] or TooL). I was craving some of
Edy's Double Fudge Brownie ice cream. This is THE best chocolate ice cream that has ever graced this earth. It puts Haagen-Dazs to shame, and believe me, I'm not picky when it comes to ice cream. (I am allergic to just plain 'ol ice cream though- milk products, but not lactose intolerant. That's different.) This ice cream though, I crave it occasionally, usually just every two months, but I only get it about every four since I'm SO VERY allergic to this ice cream. Last night, I had my first helping of the fresh carton (and I'm not one for small helpings, especially now that I've got my appetite back). Of course, I started having an allerigc reaction almost immediately because I haven't had chocolate in a few months. A chocolate ice cream reaction is a little interesting since I start sneezing from the chocolate, have an asthma attack if the ice cream is too cold and I eat it too fast, plus itchy arms. It irritates my excema, but that may be oversharing-I'll take my chances. What would really be oversharing is if I told you exactly what's in chocolate that I'm allergic to. It's not always an immediate reaction, but it was this time because there wasn't already some previous reaction to chocolate in my system. It usually takes about a week to get an allergen like chocolate (others like chocolate: cheese, milk, ice cream in general, etc.) out of my system, but it has been well over a week like I said. Here's the coincidence part. I'm sitting down to watch shark week with my mishpocha (but heavens no! not on the white couch), and a commercial comes on while I'm eating my very chocolatey ice cream and it's a confusing one. Confusing as in you have no clue what might be about when it starts and you're left kinda stunned at the end and all you can say is, "Ooookaaayyyy..." afterwards. A lot like the feeling after you see one of Sprite's new ad campaign commercials and if you haven't seen one, well, you're missing out on a very weird experience. This wasn't a Sprite one. This was for the new LG "Chocolate" phone. It was talking about how it's a V-cast phone and it's got a picture/video camera. Then it says, "It's sweet," or something to the "sweet" extent. Not quite sure why they called it "chocolate," but I bet someone thought of the ad campaign first. In an article I read, it said that they are already available in Korea and are being marketed as a Valentine's Day gift. I can see that. (Boyfriend goes up to girlfriend, "I got you some chocolate for Valentine's." Girlfriend: "Oh..." since she got chocolate the year before, but it soon changes to surprise to see her new phone.) They're going to make a fortune with that since most of us are slaves to advertising. I know there are a few commercials that have made me go out and buy the product, i.e.- Barbie in Swan Lake or Flinstone Gummie vitamins. There was one phrase that the commercial used and it was, "Carry chocolate in your pocket." Perfect, they've created a "chocolate" that won't melt from body heat. In a weird way, that appeals to me. I would never switch to Verizon since I'm far too happy with Cingular. I only need two more people to switch to Cingular and I don't think I'd use any minutes at all, just tons of text messages. (I used close to 500 last month and I'm already too close to that this month. Thank goodness two of my txters are going out of town.) But being able to say, "Hey I've got unmelted chocolate in my pocket," really sounds like something I'd like to tell people. Everyone hates the M&Ms (which I haven't been able to eat for years because they are manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and on the same equipment...I don't know how I survive at Poly's house, but I have less allergies there than at my house *cough*the Cheat*cough*) after they have melted in the bag and then you have all that dye on your hands and you have to eat them fast. That makes them unenjoyable. Unmelted "chocolate" cell phone. Yummy. Today, Contessa and Mehsha watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Of course, I joined in while I should have been doing French. More delicious chocolate. Augustus Gloop. That would be me if I was a German boy. Eating all of that chocolate and mistaking a golden ticket for nuget, but I'm allergic to nuget too. Oh well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that commericial!!


And was totally weirded out by the way.

Alan said...

I'm totally a vaniller too...
Given the choice, especially with ice cream, i'll take vanilla. I like chocolate bars, etc, but for ice cream, there's no contest.

Anonymous said...

Re: chocolate - for me, it's the darker the better.

With ice cream I can go chocolate or vanilla and am equally happy either way, but my favorite is chocolate chip - since I can't get Rainforest Crunch anymore. :-(

But for some reason I only drink vanilla milkshakes.

Horse N. Buggy said...

Chocolate milkshakes like frostys, vanilla ice cream with chunks of chocolate and caramel, hate nuget, prefer salty snacks to candy bars but like the Popables line of candy you get at the movies.

As for the slogan, "Chocolate you can put in your pocket" is much better than "I got Lance in my pants."

Anonymous said...

Everytime I hear those asinine Lanz commercials, I think of you HnB.