Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Feeling better and the French Manwich

I had not realized that it's been since July 13th that I actually updated, so... hey all! My name is Affable Olive. It's gotten to where I'm usually just Affie and... it's been a while. Hope you're still there.

I knew I was completely recovered today. It wasn't the doctor's visit where they tested me to make sure nothing else was wrong. No. It was the visit to Marshalls/TJ Maxx (I can't remember which one we have out here) where I found some totally awesome deals. When I feel sick, I can't shop. It's depressing, I know. Anyway, I got this cute light-weight jacket originally from
Urban Outfitters (my almost favorite store), and it still had the original tags on it. Not only had I seen it in the catalog for $78, I had proof still attached since the tag had not been removed. It said $78 as well. Guess what I paid. Just guess. (Remember in this guess that I am an extreme form of Jewishness when it comes to money, which is why I'm relating all this.) I paid $7. The shirt I thought would look cute with it was only $5. Aren't deals just loverly? There were some KangaROOS (in my opinion, the most colorfulest, cutest, and comfortablest shoes) that were only $19, but I didn't get them. Also, I saw some Pumas and laughed very hard at what must have looked to be nothing at all since I got some awkward looks from the returning UGA students. I didn't care for once. I like being all better.

[Just incase you didn't know, although my goal is to learn Chinese to help out the Chinese group in Atlanta; I'm still learning French for school though. That's not something I'm stopping since I enjoy it. The biggest feat is remembering it. After all, trilingual/multilingual sounds way awesomer than just bilingual.] Now for the French Manwich. I have no clue what they call a sloppy joe in French, especially since Manwich is actually a brand. I suppose I could look it up...wait, I will.
"Sloppy Joe" comes out joe trop liquide, but I would assume that's more like saying my friend joe is a messy eater. It's not really a BBQ sandwich so I'm not going to look that up, but onward to my point. My textbook is teaching me conversational French, so I'm not learning grammatical stuff or particulars. I'm learning how to tell people formal and informal ways I like things, don't like things, things I can do with other people, suggest things to do with other people, turn people down for invites (not put downs, which I would enjoy and employ), and of course, words for school subjects and supplies beside the basics like numbers and telling time. Not too much about verbs, etc., which is the stuff I would rather be learning instead of being able to order a glass of orange juice in Quebec in French. At least I won't go hungry (or thirsty) if I ever get somewhere that no one knows English, but everyone knows French. Today was food in my French lesson and it was telling me that a toasted ham and cheese was an un croque-monsieur. That's just about the manliest noun in the French language. Not only does it have a masculine article out front, it is trailed by monsieur, which everyone knows is Mister in French. I was quite intrigued by this. My book is kinda old (for a textbook), so I looked this up. Translated, this means a crunch-Mister, or a crusty-sun burned man. That's not appetizing at all. So I went and did a little translating and of course, you get something different depending on the place you use, but I was fond of this translation: sandwich grillé à jambon et à fromage. Very long, but it has sandwich, cheese, ham, and grilled in it and I feel it's a better choice than the crusty-sun burned man option. If I ever make it to somewhere that French is spoken, and I have this feeling to order a toasted ham and cheese, I'm ordering it the female way because I don't want a man sandwich.

Wow, that sounds like something Poly would have blogged about...Also, Affie's Book/Music Wednesday have both been postponed until the last Wednesday of this month...like you were wondering where it was and didn't know how life would go on without them.

8 comments:

Alan said...

Good job with all the French discussion. I enjoyed that muchly. How 'bout some Chinese anecdotes...? No, that's okay. I'll just go for lunch

Horse N. Buggy said...

I happen to love grilled ham and cheese. And I would actually love to order a "man sandwich," but I'm thinking it would be me sandwiched by a couple of men, like, say, Christian Bale and Keanu Reeves. (What, like I'm supposed to give names of guys we know?)

Horse N. Buggy said...

Comment moderation is off. Nice.

Affable Olive said...

Oh, what a yummy sandwich! I'd order one of those in a second, but that sounds like an 18 and older sandwich. Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp in Pirate garb. Yummy bread boys.

Anonymous said...

Personally Id like the Johnny Depp/Orlando Bloom version as well. But Im a Johnny fan from way back.... 21 Jump Street anyone? .... anyone?

Horse N. Buggy said...

McQuaid!!!!

Girlfriend, I own the first two seasons on DVD.

Anonymous said...

I knew I liked you, HnB.

Anonymous said...

nooo!!! Orlando Bloom is such a girly man, with or without pirate garb.